Wonder what crypto to buy now? What are the top cryptocurrencies? And what is the best crypto to invest in 2022? Cryptocurrencies have made a big come up in recent years. From Bitcoin to Ethereum to Dogecoin, there are hundreds, if not thousands of cryptocurrencies. In this article we go further into detail about some of the current top crytptocurrencies.
What are cryptocurrencies?
Cryptocurrency is a digital or virtual currency designed, verified, and secured in a decentralized computer network with binary data to work as a medium for exchange without an intermediary. In simple words, cryptocurrency is an encrypted currency in algorithms secured by cryptography technique to be used for online payment and transfer without involving a bank or a third party. Cryptocurrency exists as a virtual “token” based on supply and demand rate at which cryptocurrency can be exchanged for another currency. Therefore, cryptocurrency is a financial asset or property that bills itself as a form of currency investment stored in the electronic wallet. Hence, it is used as a medium of exchange between two parties. Cryptocurrency allows you to conduct secure exchange and online payment in a different incentive system because transfers are secured using private and public keys as proof of stake.
Besides exchange, you can make more cryptocurrency by mining or selling cryptocurrency at a profit. The encryption technique of the cryptocurrencies to decentralized networks is based on blockchain technology that is secure and distributed across a larger number of computers. Cryptocurrency is encrypted in blockchain technology because it provides integrity of transactional data, represented by ledger entries internal to the blockchain system.
Currently, cryptocurrencies are immune to government manipulation or interference because their decentralized structure allows them to exist outside the central government’s authority.Now you understand what cryptocurrency is and how it works. Did you know that there are different types of cryptocurrencies depending on their algorithm to currency, functions, and specifications? Understanding this concept about cryptocurrency is vital to help you invest or buy the best cryptocurrency to trade maximally. Below are some of the popular and the best cryptocurrency to invest in in 2022.
Bitcoin is regarded as the first and most popular, largest, and best digital currency globally in market and capitalism. The trading symbol for Bitcoin is BTC or XBT, and Bitcoin’s blockchain technology is the heart of more than 10,000 cryptocurrencies. Bitcoin is the leading cryptocurrency in value and has gained acceptance as an alternative- backed asset by many institutions and companies. Despite several cryptocurrencies having risen and fallen in popularity in the cryptocurrency industry, Bitcoin has consistently held the number one rank for many investors. There are various platforms you can trade and buy Bitcoin, including eToro, Coinbase, Gemini, Robinhood, Binance.
Bitcoin Price Prediction
In late 2020 Bitcoin fell massively to $20,000 per Bitcoin but went up to $64,800 in April 2021. However, the price has been stable because it keeps on fluctuating as a result of the cryptocurrency market. For instance, in Early August through to early September, Bitcoin price has recovered to $50,000 after it had dropped to $42000 in early July. However, the price is expected to rise towards the $56000 range in October, and at the start of 2022, the price of Bitcoin could head higher towards the $75,000 range or above. Therefore, there will be a solid performance of Bitcoin in the coming years, especially in 2022. This is hugely influenced by its dominance in the cryptocurrency market and major players like Jack Dorsey, Richard Branson, Elon Musk, and companies like Amazon, AT&T, Mastercard, Visa, Paypal, and many more.
Pros of Bitcoin
Comparing Bitcoin with its cryptocurrency competitors and other stock market exchange, it unveils a lot of advantages, these include:
- Affordable rates. In terms of liquidity, Bitcoin is the best cryptocurrency to invest in because of its strong market demand with affordable rates. It allows you to exchange Bitcoin for fiat currency quickly.
- It is secure and private with fewer fee charges. Bitcoin’s blockchain technology is secure, allowing you to trade and transfer them anytime and anywhere without involving a third party like a credit card, thereby eliminating transactional charges. The elimination of the third party makes Bitcoin more private and secure because consumer information is disclosed, thereby reducing risks for cybercrime, fraudulent purchases, and fake identities.
- Volatility. Due to Bitcoin’s minimal connection to the stock market, it can help you diversify a small investment to grow faster.
- Cold Wallet. Bitcoin’s decentralized structured ledger or cold wallet is very secure, making it less sensitive to regional hazards like hacking because it is offline. Secondly, you are not a victim of government bait because the blockchain system operates outside the central government authority.
- Compatible with all Devices. Bitcoin’s wallets are user-friendly and are compatible with all devices like android, iOS, Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Cons of Bitcoin
- Huge swings in price. Bitcoin’s price swings are enormous compared to other markets because the cryptocurrency market is still a young market, making it riskier. Therefore, you need to be cautious by conducting comprehensive research before trading cryptocurrencies.
- Exploit. Since Bitcoin operates outside the central government authority, there is nobody to govern Bitcoin’s functionality. As a result, risks in the Bitcoin economy, like fraud and scams, are higher than fiat currencies.
Ethereum is the second-largest and famous in the cryptocurrency market. Ethereum is also based on a decentralized computing network built on blockchain technology to allow its members to mine cryptocurrencies, store and use them as a medium of exchange. Participants of Ethereum are awarded cryptocurrency tokens called Ether which ETH is the abbreviation. Ethereum is unique and different from Bitcoin because it allows you to build applications that run on the blockchain, like software runs on a computer. This will enable you to store and transfer your data to handle and process transactions more quickly on the Ethereum network than on the Bitcoin network. Therefore, after developing your apps on the decentralized Ethereum network, you will pay a fee in Ether tokens. To create Ether tokens known as ‘gas’ for you to use the system. Ethereum is also more versatile than Bitcoin because there is no limit for coin exchange with Ether, while Bitcoin is limited to no more than 21 million coins.
Ethereum Price Prediction
Because of China’s cryptocurrency regulation, the price of Ethereum fluctuated dramatically from May 2021 until early July 2021. However, from early July to the end of the month, the price increased by more than 80%. In late March 2021, the Ethereum price increased by 180 percent to all-time highs of $4,196, representing a 496 percent increase since its introduction into the cryptocurrency market. Ethereum’s price is expected to exceed $4500 by the end of 2021, and it has the potential to rise even higher in the coming years.
Pros of Ethereum
- Eliminates third party enrolment. You will not incur third-party fees when using the Ethereum decentralized network because you can directly exchange, sell, and mine cryptocurrency without enrolling or involving a third party. This makes it more affordable, private, and secure and assists users in dealing with restrictive regulations, unfair transaction fees, and even censorship around the world.
- Is more versatile than a Cryptocurrency. The Ethereum network supports Cryptocurrency services and smart contracts, Blockchain Apps, and Decentralized Finance projects such as NFTs, Crypto-collectibles, medical records, ID verification, voting history, Gaming, energy distribution, and many others. As a result, it has transformed the cryptocurrency platform into a versatile digital investment that attracts more business options.
- It is faster and the most secure. It makes the Ethereum network more active by allowing developers to build apps on it, making it more difficult for malicious users to gain control of the Ethereum blockchain network. With more developers on its network, it has a significant advantage in faster transactions than Bitcoin.
- Reasonable Price. Unlike Bitcoin, the price of Ethereum is much more reasonable. For example, as of mid- March 2021, the unit price of Ethereum was $1901, far less than the unit price of BTC, which was $60,000.
Cons of Ethereum
- Difficult Programming Language. The native programming language used by the Ethereum network is difficult, especially for beginners.
- Ethereum is extremely volatile. The Ethereum cryptocurrency’s volatility is high, resulting in increased gains and losses, increasing the risk, which is a disadvantage for new investors.
- Network Congestion issues have pushed transactional fees to high levels. Because it allows developers to create apps, it has clogged the Ethereum network and attracted more cryptocurrency investors. This has caused transactional fees to skyrocket.
Cardano is an open-source and decentralized blockchain network for cryptocurrency trading and a public decentralized Apps development platform. Charles Hoskinson, a co-founder of Ethereum, created it in 2015 and officially launched it. Despite being a third-generation cryptocurrency platform, it has grown rapidly. Cardano was the first blockchain to incorporate a peer-reviewed research strategy into its core principles. Because of its dominance, many developers have chosen to use the platform for Defi projects, smart contracts, and the hosting of thousands of ERC20 protocols. Cardano also works differently from its competitors and is more efficient because it mines blocks using proof-of-stake, saving energy.
Cardano Price Prediction
Cardano’s price increased by 1299 percent between January 2021 and May 2021, then dropped by 58 percent in the following months. However, rumors about Cardano’s smart contract upgrade caused the price to rise, breaking its all-time high and reaching the $2.96 range. The price of Cardano is expected to rise into the $4-5 range by early 2022. Furthermore, their goal of improving the proof-of-stake algorithm method may cause Cardano’s price to skyrocket in the coming years to the $15-20 range.
Pros of Cardano
- Environmentally friendly. Because Cardano employs a proof-of-stake model to mine new blocks in the chain and verify transactions, only a few people can mine, reducing energy consumption and making it cheaper and better.
- It uses multiple layers. Cardano’s main advantage over its predecessors is that it employs multiple computing layers. This feature increases security, privacy, and allows updates to be performed without interfering with transactions or payments, and ensures unlimited scalability.
- It is an open-source. The decentralized network of Cardano is fully open to the public, with a functional language that performs fast.
- It is more reliable than its predecessors. Despite the fact that it operates on a decentralized network, it provides identity to unbanked citizens in developing countries. Furthermore, its third-party involvement in cryptocurrency trade and exchange is more scalable than Bitcoin and Ethereum, making it the most reliable cryptocurrency.
Cons of Cardano
- Incomplete smart contract and token standards. Because it is still in its early stages, you should exercise caution when investing in Cardano’s cryptocurrencies and projects, which is why its transactions per second are limited compared to Ethereum, Bitcoin, and Ripple.
Ripple is both a cryptocurrency and a payment network that is open source. Ripple’s goal is to help financial institutions and businesses acquire liquidity in cross-border transactions on demand. Ripple works efficiently by increasing the speed with which payments are settled, allowing them to reach markets faster and lowering market exchange fees. Ripple’s faster currency exchange rate takes about 5 seconds and costs a fraction of the current cost used to transfer the currency, making it 60 percent cheaper and faster than the old transfer method.
Ripples accept the following currencies: IOU and XRP. However, trading with IOU implies that you do not own the currency. In simple terms, it is a debt you must repay later, whereas the XRP token is the actual asset you own and can use to trade on the Ripple network.
Ripple Price Prediction
Ripple is the fourth-largest cryptocurrency in the world, with a market capitalization of around $50 billion. When comparing the current price of XRP to previous months in 2021, it is clear that it has been volatile, increasing by 119 percent from January to September. However, according to recent exchange rate reviews, its price is expected to reach $1.80- 195 by the end of 2022 and to solidify and increase exponentially to the $ 5-7 range by 2025.
Pros of Ripple
- When compared to the previous price in 2018, Ripple is currently cheaper, indicating that it has a low risk, thereby increasing the return on investment.
- It is much faster than the old currency transfer method, allowing large financial institutions, traders, and entrepreneurs to have greater access to the global economy.
- Ripple does not have a dedicated mining pool; instead, it provides pre-mined cryptocurrency, making it more energy-efficient and environmentally friendly.
- Ripple provides a secure and efficient protocol for transaction and validation, making it safer than the traditional method.
Cons of Ripple
- Because it lacks a dedicated mining pool, it only releases a small amount of XRP at set intervals, limiting investors’ ability to invest heavily and interfering with XRP impact.
Polkadot, like Ethereum, is a platform that allows you to trade and exchange cryptocurrency as well as build decentralized apps on the network. Polkadot was officially launched in August 2020 and is currently trading at $32.56 per coin. Polkadot was founded by one of the Ethereum co-founders, implying that Ethereum is the technology that inspired its creation. It enables the creation of smart contracts and new blockchains, allows blockchains to exchange information, is upgradeable, and is governed by those who own DOT, Polkadot’s native cryptocurrency. Polkadot has unquestionably taken over the crypto market and grown rapidly in less than a year.
Polkadot Price Predictions
Polkadot currently has a market capitalization of more than $44 billion, placing it among the top ten cryptocurrency exchanges. As of September, the price of DOP is around $35, and it has risen rapidly, representing the highest increase in the crypto market from August 2020 to May 2021. The market value of DOP fell dramatically in May but began to rise in July and is expected to rise by the end of the year. However, by January 2022 and beyond, expect much more than an upward trend.
Pros of Polkadot
- Polkadot is highly transparent because it provides updates on multiple platforms, including conferences, press releases, and live streams, and the team is active on Reddit and other platforms, answering questions.
- It can support any type of blockchain, making it more adaptable and versatile than its competitors.
- The platform is heavily focused on the Ethereum platform and also offers exceptional technical prowess and support.
- It enables different network blockchains to interact with a single network while operating independently.
- The ability to run multiple blockchains on a single network eliminates network congestion, lowering high “gas” fees.
- Despite the fact that chains govern themselves independently, their security is solid and valid.
Cons of Polkadot
- It is highly volatile as a result of fluctuations in the cryptocurrency market and competition from its competitors.
Uniswap is a decentralized finance protocol that allows you to exchange Ethereum for ERC20 tokens. The platform provides liquidity for investors and traders to buy and sell based on their willingness to pay. That is, no one can take it down at any time, and its decentralized network requires no energy consumption or expenses. As a result, you can trade without paying commissions, making it much more profitable. Uniswap uses the UNI altcoin as its DeFi coin and ERC20 tokens as its decentralized currencies for permissionless and trustless exchange.
Uniswap Price Predictions
The UNI altcoin first appeared on CoinMarketCap in September 2020, with a recorded volume of approximately $1.8 billion, and has since grown to be one of the top ten cryptocurrency exchanges on the Ethereum blockchain worldwide. Uniswap’s price increased from $3 to $5 in 2020 and continued to rise in 2021 until it surpassed its all-time high in May. The current Uniswap price is around $21.50, and it is expected to rise over the next three months. However, if the company adds more features and regularly upgrades it, the price could skyrocket in the coming years.
Pros of Uniswap
- Uniswap’s decentralized feature does not require KYC verification, allowing you to trade freely and privately.
- Uniswap version 3 is the most reliable and efficient automated DeFi market ever designed, allowing it to maintain the first-mover advantage and upgrade on its platform. However, Uniswap 3 version also introduced concentrated liquidity, giving you more power to set minimum and maximum prices on any given platform.
- The Uniswap Defi exchange platform is much more secure, allowing the price of cryptocurrencies to remain stable and less volatile in the market.
- Aside from the stable market, the platform is secure because it is non-custodial and uses smart contract coding, which helps to provide extensive control over your private keys, e-wallets, and minimizes system breaching.
Cons of Uniswap
- The pool lacks sufficient funds to cover transactions, making them nearly impossible or potentially impossible to complete.
- Other competitors are fiercely competing for decentralized exchange, undermining Uniswap’s market dominance.
- Uniswap’s network speed lags far behind than of its competitors, despite the fact that it runs on the Ethereum network version 1.0.
Litecoin is a more established cryptocurrency that debuted two years after Bitcoin. Charlie Lee created Litecoin, intending to create a lighter version of Bitcoin. Litecoin is a decentralized open-source system that employs the PoW algorithm as proof of work. Litecoin can be mined to a maximum of 84,000,000 LTC and stored in its core wallet as well as a third-party wallet. LTC is the Litecoin token, and is widely accepted in the cryptocurrency market, and is commonly paired with Bitcoin. It is primarily associated with BTC because its Coinswitch feature allows for the conversion of LTC to BTC.
Litecoin Price Predictions
The current price of Litecoin is around $163.00, and given the positive price increase in 2020, the price could rise to $180.00 by the end of 2020 and continue to rise in 2022.
Pros of Litecoin
- LTC is scalable and can handle more than 50 transactions at once. This is due to the integration of SegWuit and the Lightning Network protocol, which allows for faster transactions.
- It is trade-friendly, allowing traders to mine and trade easily on other exchange platforms.
- Litecoin has the most coins in circulation, up to 84 million, and its decentralized system makes it an excellent alternative for fiat exchange. The transaction fees are low, making it profitable and cost-effective in the long run.
- Litecoin provides more robust protection from hacks because its algorithm is difficult to solve, and it is also more difficult to mine but relatively easy to spend.
Cons of Litecoin
- The adoption of the SegWit protocol by Bitcoin overshadows Litecoin’s uniqueness and recognition.
- It is the second-most used crypto-currency on the dark web, accounting for nearly 30% of underground vendors.
Chainlink is a decentralized cryptocurrency and smart contract platform. However, its single- point decentralized network feed is supplied by external systems. The goal of involving a third party is to make the process of interaction between consumers and suppliers of goods and services easier, and all users will be able to connect to any existing payment system and perform all monetary transactions. Nonetheless, the distributed decentralized oracle system is fully compatible with blockchains such as Bitcoin and Ethereum and can be exchanged for fiat currency.
Chainlink Price Predictions
The current value of Chainlink cryptocurrency is $25.26. The market price reached $52 at begin May. Chainlink’s demand on the crypto exchanges is rising again, and if the trend continues and the company continues to upgrade its service, it may reach $42.00 again by the end of the year.
Pros of Chainlink
- The third-party interaction ensures that off-chain data and smart contracts interact accurately and securely. The significance of this benefit is that it reduces expenditures.
- The Oracle computational system is transparent, and all external data is scanned before passing.
- The smart contracts provide real-time access to data, making it reliable, and its blockchain technology system is much more secure and private.
- Transaction speed is very fast, which helps to generate strong returns.
- Third-party involvement provides a seamless connection to any API with its flexible framework that can connect with existing systems to retrieve and integrate data.
Cons of Chainlink
- Because of the third party’s involvement, Chainlink is vulnerable to fraud, hacking, and data breaches; and questionable transactions are permitted, making it even more dangerous.
- Chainlink’s operation is constrained by internal constraints because its project popularizes the use of smart contracts.